In brief:

  • As a survivor, you have the power to decide if, how, and when you wish to access support.
  • You can access support regardless of when or where you experienced sexual misconduct.
  • The Sexual Misconduct Support Unit (SMSU) can provide support as well as information about your reporting options.
  • A list of community support services is available on the Queensland Health website.
  • If you are a survivor of sexual assault and misconduct, you are not to blame and you are not alone. Help is available to you at UQ and in the broader community. We are here to support you without judgement.

Content Warning:

This page will cover content relating to sexual misconduct, which may be distressing for some people.

If you have experienced sexual misconduct (including sexual assault and harassment), know that it is not your fault and that you are not alone. Support is available to you, both within UQ and through external community organisations. 

Support can look different for everyone. It might look like talking to a friend or family member about how you are feeling, or it could mean accessing professional support through a service like the SMSU. It is never too late to access support; you might choose to access support immediately following an experience of sexual assault or harassment, or you might want to access support years after the incident occurred.

Need emergency support?

If you are experiencing an emergency or need urgent support in relation to an experience of sexual assault or harassment, then you can call:

  • +61 7 3365 3333 UQ Security for on campus emergencies
  • 000 for immediate police or ambulance assistance
  • 1800 Respect 1800 737 732 for 24/7 counselling support
  • Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) 07 3646 5207 for 24/7 Acute Response
  • External community support options in Queensland

Support available

UQ Support Options

Sexual Misconduct Support Unit (SMSU)

UQ's SMSU is a safe and supportive place for the UQ community to receive free, confidential guidance and support around sexual assault and sexual harassment. The SMSU can also provide support and information to people experiencing domestic and family violence. 

You can contact the SMSU by:

Find out more about the SMSU

Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

UQ staff and their immediate family members can access a free and confidential wellbeing, coaching and counselling service through the EAP. The program is provided by PeopleSense, UQ's wellbeing and employee assistance provider, through qualified practitioners. 

To access the EAP:

  • call 1300 307 912 to make an appointment

If you are calling due to an urgent crisis and you have concerns for the welfare of yourself or a family member, tell the booking service and they can connect you with a crisis professional. 

Confidential phone counselling, manager assist and critical incident services are available 24/7. 

Community Support Organisations

OrganisationAboutTo contact:

Sexual Assault Response Team (SART)

The Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) is located at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital (RBWH). SART provides acute and post-acute support to people aged 14 and above who have recently experienced sexual assault.
SART offers:

  • information in relation to reporting options
  • support during forensic medical examination
  • practical and emotional support
  • individual counselling services, at RBWH (Monday-Friday), Caboolture Community Health Centre (Wednesday) and Redcliffe Community Health Centre (Thursday)
  • counselling extended to family and friends
  • referral and service co-ordination

Please note: SART does not provide counselling to adult survivors of incest or childhood sexual abuse.

Brisbane Rape and Incest Survivors Support Centre (BRISSC)

BRISSC provides support to women (aged 15+) who have experienced sexual violence at any time during their lives. BRISSC offers phone support, individual counselling, advocacy, community education and training.

  • Support Line  - (07) 3391 0004 (Monday to Friday, 9am  - 12pm). The support line provides counselling and referral information for survivors of sexual violence, supporters and allies of survivors and workers requiring information about sexual violence.
  • Email:
54 Reasons

54 Reasons provides free specialist support services for men (aged 14+) who have experienced sexual assault, as well as to people who have been impacted by violent crime. You can access support face-to-face, over the phone or by video conferencing.

Immigrant Women's Support Service (IWSS)

The Immigrant Women’s Support Service (IWSS) is a specialist domestic violence and sexual assault service that provides free, direct support to women and their children from non-English speaking backgrounds who have experienced domestic and/or sexual violence.

Murrigunyah Family & Cultural Healing Centre

The Murrigunyah Family & Cultural Healing Centre is a community based sexual assault support service established and controlled by Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander women of Logan City. Murrigunyah offers individual counselling and is available free of charge for victims/survivors of sexual assault, regardless of when the assault occurred. Murrigunyah also provides information and assistance for family, friends, support people and other professionals assisting people who have experienced sexual assault.


QLife provides Australia-wide anonymous, LGBTI peer support and referral for people wanting to talk about a range of issues including sexuality, identity, gender, bodies, feelings or relationships. QLife services are free and include both telephone and webchat support.

Domestic Violence Action Centre (DVAC)

DVAC provides specialist domestic, family and sexual violence support services to people in the Greater Ipswich (including Gatton) and Toowoomba areas. DVAC’s services include court support, crisis support, trauma-informed counselling and men’s behaviour intervention.

Sexual Assault Helpline Queensland (DVConnect)The Sexual Assault Helpline is available 7:30am - 11:30pm, 7 days a week. Any person who lives in Queensland who has been impacted by sexual assault or knows someone who has been affected by sexual assault can call the helpline, regardless of when the assault occurred. Depending on your situation and what you want to happen, the helpline can provide support, information, advice, over the phone counselling and referrals to ongoing support.
1800RESPECT1800RESPECT is the national domestic, family and sexual violence counselling, information and support service. 1800RESPECT supports all people affected by domestic, family and sexual violence, including men. When you contact 1800RESPECT, you will talk to a trained counsellor who can talk through options and help you decide what information, people or services will be most helpful for you.
First Responder Network (FRN)

The First Responder Network is a network of volunteers from across the UQ community who are committed to ensuring UQ is a safe and supportive environment. All First Responders are trained to respond compassionately to disclosures of sexual misconduct.

First Responders will:

  • listen to you without judgement;
  • help you find relevant support services on and off campus;
  • respect your right to choose services and whether to make a formal report to UQ or the police; and
  • provide information about UQ's policies and procedures around sexual misconduct.

Please note: First Responders are not counsellors and cannot provide counselling support. If you require counselling or ongoing support please contact the SMSU (for students), the EAP (for staff) or a community support organisation.

You can find a list of First Responders here.

More Community Support Options

You can find a list of national and Queensland-based sexual assault support services here.


Give Support